Today sees the start of a new challenge at Path of Positivity. This time around the theme is Empathy. The Cambridge Dictionary definition of Empathy is: the ability to share someone else’s feelings or experiences by imagining what it would be like to be in that person’s situation. This is very different from Sympathy which is more the feeling sorry for a person’s situation without necessarily identifying with it or understanding it.
One of my favourite quotes on empathy comes from the character Atticus Finch in ‘To Kill a Mockingbird (in itself a very moving and thought provocing book). He says this: If you can learn a simple trick, Scout, you’ll get along a lot better with all kings of folks. You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view, until you climb inside of his skin and walk around in it.
Life throws up lots of opportunities to show both sympathy and empathy the most obvious being bereavement and illness. I challenge you to make use of these times to show not just sympathy but empathy. Best of all is that while sympathy is for the more trying times in life, empathy can be shared for all the good things as well!
My sample for the start of the challenge is a bit predictable in that I have gone with a sympathy card, mainly because we have had rather a lot of deaths among family and friends over the past few weeks so I have been busy making some cards.
Sprinkle and Sparkle – Church Sympathy
X-Press It card
I actually have two examples to share with you, one using the pre-coloured image and one hand coloured.
In both cards elements of the image have been 3d using three copies of the image and fussy cutting bits out. The sentiment and the frame with the flower were printed onto the card base.
The layered up image on each card is placed behind an aperture hand cut from the base card printed image (I hope that makes sense to you!).
- The challenge runs for a whole month so there is plenty of time to come along and join us.SPONSOR & PRIZE INFORMATION:
Sparkle N Sprinkle is the sole sponsor for the main prizes of this challenge. They are offering up two prizes for this challenge, which will be:
- $15.00 worth of digital images for the post or project that the DT deems most inspiring of the bunch.
- $15.00 worth of digital images for a person chosen in a random draw based on all entrants.
There will also be:
- A small selection of digital designer papers from Décosse’s Dynamite Doodles for one lucky person who leaves a comment on posts published during the challenge timeframe.
- One digital sentiment for every single person who enters the challenge.
Thank you for visiting. Take care.